RE: remove-single-device removes mounted HDDs (kernel 2.6)

Cool, must try that to see if the issues are mitigated, the issues are
reported on Distributions in default configurations.

The panics I have seen have been access violations due to bugs in the
filesystem layers dealing with some of the inconsistencies. No different
to mounting a corrupted filesystem. Sometimes the filesystem driver can
see the punch coming, I contend that sometimes it does not...

Since it is a design goal to survive, then I better be putting up traces
and submitting fs patches, rather than b*&^ing eh? I'd still feel more
comfortable having the RAID management GUIs put up a popup box warning
the user that what he is about to do to a device currently in-use is
dangerous. Reporting a refcount (which covers both filesystem and direct
i/o as used by database engines) would help.

Sincerely -- Mark Salyzyn