From: linux-scsi-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:linux-scsi-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of James Bottomley
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 10:51 AM
To: Harald Seipp
Subject: Re: remove-single-device removes mounted HDDs (kernel 2.6)

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 16:32 +0200, Harald Seipp wrote:
> Ok - but shouldn't the behavior that devices that have mounted
partitions
> can be removed be considered as a bug?

Not really.  We remove as much as we can and leave it up to the hotplug
scripts to detach the mount point (any further I/O's will error).

If there's a reattachment udev should identify the device (even if it's
on a different node) and do the right thing.

Essentially in 2.6 resolution of this problem is pushed up to the user
as a policy decision.

James

-
-