RE: SAS transport class status?

[ bringing back on list ]

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 16:28 -0600, Moore, Eric Dean wrote:
> On Friday, July 29, 2005 2:14 PM, Luben Tuikov wrote:
> > Eventually when LSI writes a smaller FW of their SAS HA, and
> > make use of Discovery in the kernel... because it is
> > economically _unfeasible_ to notify so many customers to upgrade
> > their FW, when a bug is discovered in the field, then they
> > can plug right in and make use of the always current and up
> > to spec Discovery code in the kernel. ;-)
> >

> That won't fly. We will never do that.

Ok guys, let's please stop the vendor in-fighting.  It is serving
neither of you.

Let's please agree that both Adaptec's part as well as LSI's part *need*
to be supported in kernel.org.

> > Well, to be fair, this includes drive spin-up time and looking for
> > raidset headers.  I don't know how long just discovery takes.  Eric?
>
> Drives attached to single expander takes a matter seconds to do discovery.
> I've not tested with layered expanders yet.  But I would never expect 30
> seconds.

Let's worry about benchmarks later.  Once we get the software into the
kernel, LSI and Adaptec can go head-to-head about whose part is faster.

That way, everybody wins.  Better drivers, better parts.

So, how do we move forward?  Who is writing the SAS Transport Class?
Christoph?  Luben?  Can I help?

Can we use Luben's patch (not yet posted to list) as a starting point?
Eric, can you make LSI's driver fit into this paradigm?  If not, what
needs to be changed?

-tduffy