Re: sdparm cannot start or stop SATA disks

Douglas Gilbert wrote:
Putting this post on this list might head off
more (private) emails on this subject.

sdparm uses the START STOP UNIT SCSI command to start
and stop (spin up and spin down) SCSI devices.
Currently libata does not implement that SCSI command.
[Hopefully Jeff contradicts me.]

Has anybody seen a USB or 1394 enclosure that implements
START STOP UNIT? [The command is defined in SBC, MMC and
RBC.]

Hi Douglas,
After our previous discussion on USB/Firewire start/stop, I asked on our dk LUG for info on external interfaces, but found none that seems to implement the needed SCSI functionality. Too bad, would've been great being able to spin an external drive down/up as needed.

I think I read somewhere that one ATA disk (HItachi og Fujitsu) can do something similar automatically (i.e. adhering to a timeout), once configured to do so, using MS-based utils.
Dunno if those/similar are available for *nix.

--
Kind regards,
Mogens Valentin

2.6.12 rocks. I love the Conservative governor (not Arnold)..
  -- bird603568, on linuxquestions.org

-