Megaraid problems with >8GB RAM

When installing Linux on a pair of new dual-opteron servers (16GB of RAM and a MegaRAID 320-2), neither the megaraid v1, nor v2 drivers could talk to the actual MegaRAID hardware. The v1 driver simply caused the system to lock up, wheras the v2 driver produces the error "megaraid: maibox adapter did not initialize" after a while.

Googling for the error produced this slightly old result, which fits the problem perfectly: http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-amd64/2004-Jun/0345.html

And indeed, passing the argument "mem=3000000k" to the kernel allows the card to be detected fine by the v2 driver. We have a lot of 8GB Opterons running Megaraid cards fine, but this is the first time we've bought 16GB models. This is the first problem we've seen, so I'm guessing that the MegaRAID firmware has issues writing to RAM higher than somewhere between 8 and 16GB...

Should we be looking for a new RAID card or is there a way to fix this? Why has seemingly nobody else had this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Russ Garrett
russ@xxxxxxx
-