Re: I/O Errors and no Partitions visible with QLogic failover driver and Storageworks array (MSA1500)

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005, Robert Heinzmann wrote:

> we observed some strange behaviour with the Qlogic failover driver
> version 8.00.02 (Kernel 2.6.7) and MSA1500 storagework arrays.

I'd suggest you work the request through QLogic tech-support, as
the upstream qla2xxx driver has been stripped of all failover
components.

	http://www.qlogic.com/support/report_problem.asp

> We have a MSA1500 connected to two fabrics and 4 hosts connected to the
> MSA1500, each with 2 Qlogic FC HBA's. Each HBA is connected to one
> fabric. We have seen the following strange behaviour:
>
> a) If we boot one machine and the HBA first found by the operating
> system  is connected to the standby MSA1500 controller, the boot takes
> very long and we get SCSI I/O errors (see below). After the boot no
> partitions are visible on the array. If we issue blockdev --rescanpt on
> the LUN's we see the partitions.
>
> b) If we boot one machine and the HBA first found by the operating
> system is connected to the active MSA1500 controller, the boot is very
> quick (normal) and all partitions are visible after the boot.
>
> Because I'm not such an kernel expert I thought of asking the SCSI
> "gurus" on this list :). Who is responsible for scanning the parition
> tables after inserting a new driver ?

The midlayer.

> Is this the driver itself or the
> kernel ?

You're I/Os are being routed through the standby path -- please
contact, tech-support, as I believe this issue has been noted and
corrected.

Regards,
Andrew Vasquez
-