Re: Compaq RA4x00 logical volumes not detected in kernel 2.6

The problem is not with how the driver scans but with the device type
the array returns for each LUN.  The device type being returned by this
array, aka "scsi: unknown device type 12" is defined as "Storage array
controller device (e.g., RAID)".  This array does not return as a
"direct access device", aka device type 0.

As you have seen there is no mid-layer driver that knows how to handle
this type.

If you look at the cpqfc driver used with the Compaq FC controller it
converts the device type to 0.  I am not sure if the cpqfc driver is
doing more than just munging the device type from 12 to 0.  It has been
4 or so years since I worked with a 4x00 array and found the same thing
you did.  I was not very disappointed when Compaq discontinued the
4x00!  I had problems with the cpqfc driver and moved the array to a
Qlogic SAN.  When I ran into the issue with the device type as you found
I chose to go back to the cpqfc driver and work with Compaq to fix the
cpqfc driver rather than trying to fix the device type.

I think the short answer is to use the 4x00 arrays you have to use a
driver that knows how to map the array from a "RAID" device type to a
direct access device type.  That, I think, restricts you to use the
cpqfc driver.  I believe the 4x00 array is broken when it returns the
device type 12 for each LUN and rather than fix the firmware Compaq
chose to have the driver handle it.

Your other option is to create a module that will handle the device type
12 correctly.  I am not familiar with any other arrays that return a
type of 12 so I am not sure the effort is worth it.

Eddie

-