Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 01:41:54 +0200 (CEST)
From: Guennadi Liakhovetski <lyakh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: NBD (vs. iSCSI vs. EATA vs...)

(Dropped most recepients of the original "ata over ethernet question"
discussion, including lkml, from CC)

Hi

On Thu, 12 May 2005, James Bottomley wrote:
> However, there is room for improvement in nbd, notably the handling of
> packet commands, which looks to be eminently doable in the current
> infrastructure (this would basically make nbd a replicator for the linux
> block system, and would probably necessitate some client side changes to
> achieve).  If you have any thoughts in this direction, you could drop an
> email to the maintainer.

Ok, I came to a stage, when I start a server and a client, and then on the
client side I can do open / close cycles, which would be respectively
passed to the server, thus not keeping the server file(s) busy all the
time. This allows, e.g., to export a CD-ROM, mount / umount it, eject it
(not yet over nbd), insert a new one, mount, etc. Also, open errors are
passed back, so, you get a nice "no medium" error on the client side
without a CD.

IIUC, the suggestion from James to implement ATAPI translates in
user-space terms to implementing respective ioctl's, because this is what
nbd gets, and this is what nbd-server has to reproduce.

So, the work is not finished, at least some ioctl's are needed. I had to
modify the kernel driver, and both the server and the client apps. No
backward compatibility, sorry:-( What I'd like to do now is to ask - is
there an interest in such changes to be integrated in the kernel /
nbd-package. If there is one - what are your wishes? If we get that far,
what should I post here - only the kernel patch, and user-space separately
to sf (I think?), or both?

(see also my another post today to linux-scsi)

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski