Re: compile new kernel in order to install DEll OMSA software on Dell Poweredge 2850 with PERC 4e Raid Controller

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 06:35:30PM +0200, oliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello,
> I followed the instructions from Jay Wineinger at
> http://shadsplace.org/PE2650/ with the only difference that I used a
> different config file (see below) because I have different hardware.
>
> After havinf compiled the new kernel and rebooting into the new kernel I get:
>
> This is the the what happened after booting into the new kernel:
> [..]
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-8, errno = 2

errno=2 is "No such file or directory".  Meaning modprobe isn't in
your initial ramdisk.  You're using an initial ramdisk, right, as your
SCSI subsystem (scsi_mod) and your SCSI device drivers are all modular.

> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or 08:02
> Please append append correct "root=" boot option

which is expected, as you don't have any SCSI drivers loaded.

Either use an initrd, or change all the CONFIG_SCSI* entries you care
about to =y.

Thanks,
Matt

--