Re: PM / devfreq: exynos-bus: need for suspend OPP?

Hi Tobias,

Am 21.11.2016 um 14:33 schrieb Tobias Jakobi:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I was thinking about the following. At the moment we have a suspend OPP
> for cpufreq-dt in place for the Exynos4412 SoC (added in
> 1605b60ad064c7019db8ade07f0b7bdc8c197b93). The rationale behind is that
> the board using the SoC might not have some PMIC reset in place. In case
> the board goes into reboot with a low OPP (i.e. low frequency, but also
> low core voltage), this results in a hang when the first-stage
> bootloaders sets its default core frequency.
>
> So this is properly handled in the kernel just fine, except for some
> corner cases like emergency reboot.
>
> But some time ago devfreq support for the various busses in the
> Exynos4412 was added. On the ODROID boards e.g. this adjust MIF and INT
> voltage.
>
> Let us take the DMC bus. Operating frequency is 100~400MHz and voltage
> is 900~1050mV.
>
> Now let's look at the corresponding board file
> (http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=board/samsung/odroid/odroid.c#l234)
> in upstream u-boot. If I read this correctly DMC is set to 400MHz there.
>
> Here's the question. Could this, similar to the cpufreq/core frequency
> issue, pose a problem when the kernel goes into reboot when DMC is on
> the lowest OPP state?
>
> I'm not saying that it does. This just came to my mind during some
> recent discussion.

Made a test with
# echo performance > /sys/class/devfreq/bus_leftbus/governor
# echo performance > /sys/class/devfreq/bus_dmc/governor
just before reboot.

20 out of 20 reboots worked.

With devfreq simple_ondemand governor around 50% reboots hung.

This could support your thoughts above.

Servus,
--
Markus