Re: Pulls and drive strengths in the pinctrl world

Linus,

Thank you for your comments.  See below...

Stephen: sorry for missing you earlier!  :(

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Linus Walleij
<linus.walleij@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But please use the preprocessor to provide symbolic names for
> the configurations. See for example these two patches from
> J-C:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/devicetree-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg32164.html

Ah, that does look nice!  This probably needs to be addressed in a
separate patch to cleanup all of the samsung pinctrl devicetrees.

> I don't think the idea with device tree is to write as compact trees
> as possible, but as expressive and exact yet abstract trees as
> possible for OS independence.

The compactness was one benefit, but also it was about trying to avoid
excessive duplication of information.  I found it awkward that I
needed to list that my interrupt was "gpx1-2" in two different ways.

I would find it just as good if I could express things like this (for
interrupts):

  pinctrl@11400000 {
    cyapa_irq: cyapa-irq {
      samsung,pins = "gpx1-2";
      samsung,pin-function = <0xf>;
      samsung,pin-pud = <0>;
      samsung,pin-drv = <0>;

      interrupt-controller;
      #interrupt-cells = <1>;
    };
  };

  trackpad {
    reg = <0x67>;
    compatible = "cypress,cyapa";
    interrupt-parent = <&cyapa_irq>;
    interrupts = <0>;
    wakeup-source;
  };

In this case I'm not saying that my interrupt parent is "gpx1-2" in
two separate places that could diverge.

I could come up with a similar example for GPIOs.

-Doug