RE: [RFC/PATCH 0/2] FrameBuffer emulator for V4L2/VideoBuf2

Hi Marek,

On Wednesday, March 30, 2011 4:01 PM Marek Szyprowski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On V4L2 brainstorming meeting in Warsaw we discussed the need of a
> framebuffer userspace interface for video output devices. Such
> framebuffer interface is aimed mainly for legacy applications and/or
> interoperatibility with Xfbdev.
>
> I proposed to give the idea of generic fb-on-top-of-video-node a second
> try, now using the power of videobuf2.
>
> This short patch series demonstrates that this approach is possible. We
> succesfully implemented a framebuffer emulator and tested it with
> s5p-hdmi driver on Samsung Exynos4 platform.
>
> This initial version provides a basic non-accelerated framebuffer
> device. The emulation is started on the first open of the framebuffer
> device and stopped on last close. The framebuffer boots in 'blanked'
> mode, so one also needs to make a call to blank ioctl (with
> FB_BLANK_UNBLANK argument) to enable video output.
>
> We successfully managed to get vanilla Xfbdev server working on top of
> it without ANY changes in X server sources.
>
> The framebuffer resolution and pixel format is autoconfigured from the
> parameters of the corresponding video output node. One can use v4l2-ctrl
> (or similar) tool to select pixel format, resolution, output, etc (and
> in the near future also the composition on the target video device).
>
> There a few requirements for the video output driver:
> 1. support for single-buffering mode
> 2. support for videoc_ioctl interface (this might change in the future)
> 3. use memory allocator that allows coherent mappings (mmaped framebuffer
>    will be accessed by application while it is displayed by dma engine).
>
> The changes that are needed in the video output driver are really
> simple. Mainly one need to add just a call to vb2_fb_register(q, vfd)
> and vb2_fb_register(fb) functions.
>
> The future versions might aslo include the following features:
> - vsync event translation into WAIT_VSYNC framebuffer ioctl
> - support for frame buffer panning with upcoming S_COMPOSE ioctl

As I know, the panning is different from upcoming S_COMPOSE.
The panning selects the frame buffer area which will be read by display
controller to support virtual screen feature.
But as I remember, the S_COMPOSE is related in positioning on the display
device like HDMI.
IMO, VIDIOC_S_EXTCROP makes sense for panning.