SMC-R throughput drops for specific message sizes

Dear SMC Maintainers and Contributors,

I would like to bring to your attention some observations made during recent experiments conducted with the SMC-R on the following system:

- SMC version: 3E92E1460DA96BE2B2DDC2F (version 1)
- Kernel: both v5.4 and v5.15
- Ubuntu: 20.04
- Benchmarking tool: ‘qperf’
- The SMC-R vs TCP/IP throughput has been measured using the ‘qperf’ tool for various message sizes ranging from 0 to 8 MB.

Based on the attached plot, you may notice that the SMC-R throughput drops substantially according to a periodic regular pattern.

A few configurations have been checked, but the pattern described above persists:

- All the min/default/max values of ‘net.ipv4.tcp_rmem’ and ‘net.ipv4.tcp_wmem’ have been utilized.
- Experiments with the Linux kernel v5.4 and v5.15 have been conducted.
- The MTU size has been changed from 1500 up to 9000.
- Several message sizes have been tried.

I was wondering whether you could help me understand a reason behind these drops, please? This behavior is not observed with the TCP/IP stack. Any insights or guidance would be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Alexandros Nikolaou

Bosch Service Solutions Magdeburg GmbH | Otto-von-Guericke-Str. 13 | 39104 Magdeburg | GERMANY | [www.boschservicesolutions.com]www.boschservicesolutions.com
Alexandros.Nikolaou@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Sitz: Magdeburg, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stendal, HRB 24039
Geschäftsführung: Robert Mulatz, Daniel Meyer

[Index of Archives]     [Kernel Development]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Info]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Linux Media]     [Device Mapper]