Re: s390x stack unwinding with perf?

On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 10:57 AM Heiko Carstens <hca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 02:30:41PM +0200, Daan De Meyer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As part of enabling frame pointers system wide for Fedora to get fast
> > system wide stack unwinding, we're now looking to do the same for
> > s390x after previously enabling frame pointers for x86-64 and aarch64.
> > From what we can find, on s390x stack unwinding is done via the
> > "-mbackchain" compiler option. However, from some early experiments
> > rebuilding a small part of the distro, this option alone does not seem
> > to result in usable stack traces in perf (perf record -g => perf
> > report).
> >
> > Are there any other compiler options that need to be enabled in order
> > to get usable stack traces in perf for s390x? Has anyone managed to
> > get this working before?
>
> So, are you saying that you want to enable "-mbackchain" for whole user
> space for Fedora? If that is the case, what certainly is missing is kernel
> support to unwind user space stack frames from the kernel, since until now
> no distribution had user space where it would be possible to unwind the
> user space stack from the kernel; which is the reason why this was never
> implemented.
>
> If this (or some other compiler options) will be enabled for user space, we
> need to add kernel support in order to make this work.

Yes, the idea is that we'd want to have this supported in Fedora to
match all the other architectures where "-fno-omit-frame-pointer" is
used.

--
Neal Gompa (FAS: ngompa)

[Index of Archives]     [Kernel Development]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Info]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Linux Media]     [Device Mapper]