Re: Buffered I/O broken on s390x with page faults disabled (gfs2)

On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 1:22 AM Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 3:25 PM Andreas Gruenbacher <agruenba@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Seems to be working on s390x for this test case at least; the kind of
> > trace I'm getting is:
>
> Good.
>
> > This shows bursts of successful fault-ins in gfs2_file_read_iter
> > (read_fault). The pauses in between might be caused by the storage;
> > I'm not sure.
>
> Don't know about the pauses, but the burst size might be impacted by that
>
> +       const size_t max_size = 4 * PAGE_SIZE;
>
> thing that limits how many calls to fixup_user_fault() we do per
> fault_in_safe_writeable().
>
> So it might be worth checking if that value seems to make any difference.
>
> > I'd still let the caller of fault_in_safe_writeable() decide how much
> > memory to fault in; the tight cap in fault_in_safe_writeable() doesn't
> > seem useful.
>
> Well, there are real latency concerns there - fixup_user_fault() is
> not necessarily all that low-cost.

I just don't know if making the GUP based approach work instead of
switching to fixup_user_fault(), or introducing something else, would
make enough of a performance difference to be worth it.

> And it's actually going to be worse when we have the sub-page coloring
> issues happening, and will need to probe at a 128-byte granularity
> (not on s390, but on arm64).
>
> At that point, we almost certainly will need to have a "probe user
> space non-destructibly for writability" instruction (possibly
> extending on our current arch_futex_atomic_op_inuser()
> infrastructure).

Let me add Catalin Marinas to the CC.

[Index of Archives]     [Kernel Development]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Info]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Linux Media]     [Device Mapper]