Re: can we finally kill off CONFIG_FS_DAX_LIMITED

On 10/15/21 00:04, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> 2) Denying FOLL_LONGTERM
>    Once GUP has grabbed the page we can call is_zone_device_page() on
>    the struct page. If true we can check page->pgmap and read some
>    DENY_FOLL_LONGTERM flag from there

I had proposed something similar to that:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/6a18179e-65f7-367d-89a9-d5162f10fef0@xxxxxxxxxx/

Albeit I was using pgmap->type and was relying on get_dev_pagemap() ref
as opposed to after grabbing the page. I can ressurect that with some
adjustments to use pgmap flags to check DENY_LONGTERM flag (and set it
on fsdax[*]) and move the check to after try_grab_page(). That is provided
the other alternative with special page bit isn't an option anymore.

[*] which begs the question on whether fsdax is the *only* that needs the flag?

> 3) Different refcounts for pud/pmd pages
>
>    Ideally DAX cases would not do this (ie Joao is fixing device-dax)
>    but in the interm we can just loop over the PUD/PMD in all
>    cases. Looping is safe for THP AFAIK. I described how this can work
>    here:
>
>    https://lore.kernel.org/all/20211013174140.GJ2744544@xxxxxxxxxx/
>
> After that there are only two remaining uses:
>
> 4) The pud/pmd_devmap() in vm_normal_page() should just go
>    away. ZONE_DEVICE memory with struct pages SHOULD be a normal
>    page. This also means dropping pte_special too.
>
> 5) dev_pagemap_mapping_shift() - I don't know what this does
>    but why not use the is_zone_device_page() approach from 2?

dev_pagemap_mapping_shift() does a lookup to figure out
which order is the page table entry represents. is_zone_device_page()
is already used to gate usage of dev_pagemap_mapping_shift(). I think
this might be an artifact of the same issue as 3) in which PMDs/PUDs
are represented with base pages and hence you can't do what the rest
of the world does with:

	tk->size_shift = page_shift(compound_head(p));

... as page_shift() would just return PAGE_SHIFT (as compound_order() is 0).

[Index of Archives]     [Kernel Development]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Info]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Linux Media]     [Device Mapper]