Re: [RFC 17/37] DOCUMENTATION: protvirt: Instruction emulation

On 11/14/19 5:03 PM, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 16:55:46 +0100
> Janosch Frank <frankja@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 11/14/19 4:41 PM, Cornelia Huck wrote:

>>> So, what is so special about diag 500, then?
>>
>> That's mostly a confusion on my side.
>> The SIDAD is 4k max, so we can only move IO "management" data over it
>> like ORBs and stuff. My intention was to point out, that the data which
>> is to be transferred (disk contents, etc.) can't go over the SIDAD but
>> needs to be in a shared page.
>>
>> diag500 was mostly a notification mechanism without a lot of data, right?
>
> Yes; the main information in there are the schid identifying the
> subchannel, the virtqueue number, and a cookie value, all of which fit
> into the registers.
>
> So this goes via the sidad as well?

Only referenced data goes over the SIDA, register values go into offset
0x380 of the SIE state description.

If an instruction has an address in a register, we will receive a bogus
address and the referenced data in the SIDA.

SCLP has a code and an address as register values.
We will get the code and a bogus address in the register area.
The SCCB will be in the SIDA.

[Index of Archives]     [Kernel Development]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Info]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Linux Media]     [Device Mapper]