Re: Mapping memory regions on s390

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 16:36:30 +0100
David Hildenbrand <david@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Do we know the size of the device mappings upfront (So that we can setup
> >> the max memory size)?
> >> Something like
> >> 4GB guest + 2 deviced with 1TB each. So we would set the max memory size
> >> to 2.004TB
> >
> > For a non-hotplugged device, we should know. For hotplugged, this is
> > more difficult; maybe we can fail it if a pre-alloced pool is exhausted?
>
> We can
> a) make it configurable similar to maxmem (e.g. machine property)
> b) guarantee a minimum size (e.g. X GB) we can glue to compat machines.
>
> Especially we should also provide a way to disable it completely, for
> small guests. (can also be done via such a parameter)

And make device realization resp. hotplug fail if we can't get a memory
chunk for its regions? Makes sense.

Dynamically changing the size would probably open a whole different can
of worms; hopefully we can avoid going there.

> In addition, the "max out current address space size" can always be done
> without issues.

[Index of Archives]     [Kernel Development]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Info]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Linux Media]     [Device Mapper]