Re: kprobe string arg does not return proper value

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 16:53:27 +0100
Heiko Carstens <heiko.carstens@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > And if I'm correct it is not easy to "fix". _If_ this functionality is
> > > desired then the kprobes interface must probably be changed so that it
> > > would be possible to specify the address space from where something
> > > should be copied. Or.. maybe the "__user" annotation in the kernel
> > > code can be instrumented(?).
> >
> > No, I don't want to "fix" this. Describing in a document will be OK,
> > but this is a limitation comes from its design.
>
> It could be fixed if e.g. a new ustring fetcharg type would be
> supported, where we don't switch to KERNEL_DS. It would still fault
> when the page isn't mapped, but would access the correct address
> space.

Ah, I got it, so the user space will be mapped somewhere.

> I don't know if it is really worth to implement this.. since I'm
> afraid this will cause "some" problems ;)

If someone (who can work on s390) is interested in, feel free to expand
string copy function, but I don't like introducing "ustring", since it is
highly depending on arch and anyway we can not guarantee to fetch the string
when the page is not mapped..

Thank you,

--
Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@xxxxxxxxxx>

[Index of Archives]     [Kernel Development]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Info]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Linux Media]     [Device Mapper]