Re: Livepatch consistency model, objtool, and s390x arch

Hi Martin, Heiko,

Ping.  We are trying to determine whether s390 needs objtool, for the
livepatch consistency model, which needs reliable stack traces.

The test for that is: do all (runtime) functions use backchain pointers
properly?

Our tentative conclusion, based on Joe's research below, is that misuse
of backchain pointers is not a realistic concern, and thus that objtool
is _not_ needed.

That said, we will probably need to add some error checking to the
unwinder.  For example, it would need to properly detect unreliable
stacks caused by page faults or preemption.  And some other error
conditions.

Any thoughts/objections?

--
Josh

[Index of Archives]     [Kernel Development]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Info]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Linux Media]     [Device Mapper]