Re: 2.6.21.3 - exceptions & kernel panic when booting Debian Installer

On Wednesday 06 June 2007 13:41, Heiko Carstens wrote:
> The new exceptions you are seeing are from directed yield (diag 9c),
> hypfs (diag 224), new ipl/reipl code (diag 308) and new etr code
> (opcode b216). All of them have proper exception handling. That is not
> what is causing problems.

Thanks for the explanation. Not very pretty, but at least I now know they
can be safely ignored :-)

> Looks like your init process is doing something wrong, so it terminates
> too early (or gets terminated). Can't tell from the output you posted.

Yes, you are right. The issue is caused by the library reduction we do to
to keep the size of installer initrds as small as possible. If I build
the initrd without library reduction, the installer boots fine.

With the recent libc updates and some changes in the way library reduction
is being done we're seeing issues on several architectures, but I failed
to consider that as the most likely option because of the earlier kernel
problems on hercules.

Now to narrow this down further...

Thanks again,
FJP
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-s390" in

[Index of Archives]     [Kernel Development]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Info]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Linux Media]     [Device Mapper]