Re: a question about how to debug this case in ftrace

On Tue, 25 Jun 2024 08:20:15 -0500
Andrew Halaney <ahalaney@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So I ended up doing a sequence like:
>
>     tracing_off();
>     ftrace_dump(DUMP_ALL);

I've done that several times too.

> in the softlockup code when it was detected. Ideally I wanted to look at
> the vmcore and look at the ftrace data in there (since debugging printk
> by using printk is a little confusing), but there was a makedumpfile bug
> I hit... so I went with the hacky route to prove to myself what was
> going on. I think since then that's been resolved. Hope that helps!

You may be interested in some work I'm doing that allows you to read
the ring buffer from a previous kernel after a crash.

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-trace-kernel/20240612231934.608252486@xxxxxxxxxxx/

I also have a way to ask for any memory, that should be able to get the
same location most times, via a "reserve_mem=" kernel command line
parameter.

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-trace-kernel/20240613233415.734483785@xxxxxxxxxxx/

They are both destined for the next merge window. After that, I have
one more patch that ties the two together, so that you can have a
kernel command line of:

 reserve_mem=12M:4096:trace trace_instance=bootmap@trace

and then when you boot up, you would have a trace instance that would
be mapped to that memory. If your machine doesn't clear memory after a
crash, you can read the data from the crash on the next boot.

-- Steve