Outstanding latency increase in kernel CAN gateway caught by CANlatester daily builds at 2023-10-02

Hello Oliver and others,

two consecutive daily runs of our CAN latency system

  https://canbus.pages.fel.cvut.cz/#can-bus-channels-mutual-latency-testing

shows extreme increase in latency of the kernel CAN gateway under the load.
The first run with increased latency (run-DATE-TIME-KERNEL-OPTIONS)

run-231002-045216-hist+6.6.0-rc3-rt5-ge31516c1e553+flood-kern-prio-fd-load.jsonn

previous one consistent with daily runs form May

run-231001-045220-hist+6.6.0-rc3-rt5-ge31516c1e553+flood-kern-prio-fd-load.json

The history of the monitoring for kernel gateway under the load for latest RT
kernels,
branch run on "linux-rt-devel/for-kbuild-bot/current-stable" branch

https://canbus.pages.fel.cvut.cz/can-latester/inspect.html?kernel=rt&load=1&flood=1&fd=1&prio=1&kern=1

Monitoring of latency when userspace application is used to forward
data from one to another CAN interface does not show similar excess

https://canbus.pages.fel.cvut.cz/can-latester/inspect.html?kernel=rt&load=1&flood=1&fd=1&prio=1&kern=0

It is interesting that when priority of CAN controller interrupt service
routines
are not boosted then problem does not appear. Priority 90 is set for each
irq/[0-9]+-can[0-9]
thread by

  chrt -f --pid 90 $pid

The device under the test as well as messages generation and monitoring
system are MZ_APO boards (AMD/XlinX Zynq XC7Z010) with CTU CAN FD IP core
CAN controller configured for 10 ns frames timestamping.

The problem can be in configuration of our system, CTU CAN FD IP core driver
or specific to Zynq ARM platform. But it is generally suspicious because
after initial tuning of the test system there has not been modifications
for long time. Monitoring system is running 6.2.0-rt3-00007-ge3a16816f987
kernel for all time and no problem with some Rx buffers overflow
on the tester side is reported for time covering all tests in the question.

Please, report if you have some idea which change between reported
versions from 2023-10-01 and 2023-10-02 could be reason for the change.
I plan to keep eye on results till end of the week and if the problem
continues then I start to investigate more by beginning of the next week
when I should find a little more time. I am quite busy by preparation for
conference and teaching this week so I do not expect to find much time.

Best wishes,

                Pavel
--
                Pavel Pisa