Re: Mixing upstreams

On 2022-11-15 17:59:36 (+0100), David Runge wrote:
> I package the latest stable and the development version of linux-rt for
> Arch Linux.
>
> For this I follow the tags created in linux-stable-rt [1] and
> linux-rt-devel [2] to rebase commits relevant for the distribution on
> top of non-prerelease tags in those repositories.
>
> Yesterday I noticed, that tags from linux-rt-devel (e.g. v6.0.5-rt14
> [3]) started showing up in the linux-stable-rt repository.
>
> Was this an oversight on your end or are you starting to migrate all
> work on the patchset into one repository (which would also be easier for
> me to mirror and track downstream)?
>
> Best,
> David
>
> [1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-stable-rt.git
> [2] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-rt-devel.git
> [3] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-stable-rt.git/tag/?h=v6.0.5-rt14

To follow up on my own message above, I would like to mention that
mixing upstreams makes it much harder to properly track the releases of
the realtime kernels, as I can no longer rely on tags in those
repositories without ignore a list of arbitrary strings (which may grow
over time if someone with push access keeps pushing tags from the other
repository).

It would be really great to get a reply about this.

Best,
David

--
https://sleepmap.de