Re: Problems installing a real time kernel.

On Tue, 7 Jun 2022 13:24:06 +0000, Willett, Tony wrote:
>mailto:lab@panda:~/linux-5.13$ make -j8 deb-pkg

Hi,

a long time ago I was used to build Debian rt patched kernels. When I
migrated to Ubuntu I continued building kernels the Debian way.
Referring to a script I wrote in 2013 to build an Ubuntu linux-rt
package the Debian way:

export CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=8
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --initrd kernel-image kernel-headers

I exported CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=2. Since you are using make with
the -j8 option, it probably should be CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=8 for you.
However, I don't know what changed within the years. I build at least
one kernel after that seemingly not using the script, but don't have
notes at hand. I remember that before or after that time something
related to fakeroot changed, but IIRC I always used make-kpkg to build
Debian and Ubuntu kernel packages. Probably with something else, but
the --rootcmd fakeroot option.

The package containing the command make-kpkg was removed in 2020, see
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/kernel-package . But some Debian
rekleases might still provide it. Ubuntu 20.04LTS and earlier still
provide it, see
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=focal&searchon=names&keywords=kernel-package
, but later Ubuntu releases don't.

If your Debian release's repos should provide it, consider to test
using make-kpkg, if not consider to ask on a Debian user mailing list
how to build a Debian kernel package nowadays.

Alternatively you could build and install a kernel without building a
package at all.

Nowadays I build kernel packages for Arch Linux only. Arch does use a
completely different package management.

Regards,
Ralf