Re: [ANNOUNCE] v5.16-rc6-rt12

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 7:04 AM Mike Galbraith <efault@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 2022-01-23 at 09:40 -0500, gene heskett wrote:

> > > FWIW, LTP testcases pass on rpi4 and x86_64 boxen with no gripeage.
> > > Full LTP with maximally bloated config was as uninteresting as one can
> > > hope for.
> > > .
> >
> > Unforch and after many try's, I can't get it to reboot when installed,
> > sorta, on an rpi4b.
> >
> > I say sorta, because no matter how many times I rebuild it, the build
> > does not generate an arch/arm/boot/dts/overlays directory.  The build
> > itself is error free.
> >
> > The raspi kernel build instructions from their somewhat dated wiki also
> > say to use the bcm2711_defconfig, but it does not now exist in a git
> > clone. And a hwinfo of the rpi4b says I should use the bcm2835_defconfig
> > for a starter .config.
> >
> > Is there any hope of making this work?
>
> Sure.  Given bcm2711_defconfig is missing, sounds like you're trying to
> build patched up kernel.org source.  You can do that, works fine for
> me, and I know jack diddly spit about cute little arm gizmos ;-) but
> you're better off patching up source from...
>
>         git clone https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux.git
>
> ...instead, which has a large pile of not yet upstreamed rpi patches.
> Just checkout the rpi-5.16.y branch and apply the 5.16-rt patch set.
> There you'll find that bcm2711_defconfig you were looking for.
>
> I build on my desktop box, rpi4 being every bit as fast as you'd expect
> something that dinky to be, then nfs mount from rpi4 and sudo make
> modules_install dtbs_install install.  Edit /boot/config.txt, reboot,
> and presto, you too will be ready to have any unrealistic x86_64 based
> expectations you may have thoroughly dashed by cyclictest numbers :)
>
>         -Mike

Based on Mike's excellent advice earlier this month, I got 5.10
running nicely on a pi 4 with the RT patchset.
https://github.com/frc971/linux/tree/frc971-5.10-pi4-rt is our tree.
We are using it for running 2 khz estimation algorithms for robots.  I
picked the current stable kernel version in the released rootfs
instead of being as adventurous as Mike and running a newer kernel.

There's a pretty good howto from the raspberry pi folks about how to
build a kernel which I used to deploy it.
https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/linux_kernel.html#cross-compiling-the-kernel

Austin