Re: Strange problem with PREEMPT_RT

Punit Agrawal <punitagrawal@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > If I remove this default we're going to get a slew of reports from people
> > using cyclictest wondering why they aren't getting good realtime
> > performance.
>
> Perhaps, this is a change best done with a major version bump. Not that
> it'll stop users queries completely but hopefully more people will pay
> attention to the changelog.

Regrettably, I know quite a few RT Linux users who are neither party
to this mailing list (due to company IT policy), nor do they pay
attention to the changelog.  Even less read the source code of the
rt-tests suite of tools.

Regardless of these sorrowful facts, as this is such a fundamental
matter, perhaps it would be useful to highlight this behaviour of
cyclictest in the tool's documentation - specifically the program's
help output, manual page, and related content on the RT Linux wiki.  I
see additional information going into the first two forms of
documentation as a required step.  However, I believe that adding
information on this behaviour to the relevant pages of the RT Linux
wiki would also be greatly beneficial.  This is because many
developers who are new to RT Linux development, in my experience, tend
to make use of the wiki to 'orientate' themselves when first starting
out, etc, and the omission of information regarding this behaviour
could lead to wrong assessments and conclusions being made when using
this tool.

Jack