Re: Strange problem with PREEMPT_RT

On Thu, 30 Sep 2021, John Ogness wrote:

> >> +1
> >>
> >> Developers wanting to explicitly cause this behavior can use --latency=
> >> to enable it. Having it on as a default is misleading.
> >
> > Where does this "--latency=" option apply to?

I see this option was dropped from the help, will add it back.

> It is the value written to /dev/cpu_dma_latency, which AFAIK writes the
> maximum acceptable latency (in microseconds). This translates to the
> allowed C states. cyclictest currently writes 0, which should keep the
> processor in C0. For example, setting it to 1-5, should allow C0 and C1.
>
> Using --laptop will cause cyclictest to avoid touching
> /dev/cpu_dma_latency. But nobody would know that unless they looked at
> the code.
>
> IMHO, systems should be configured for production use and cyclictest
> should just _measure_ latencies at a specified priority level. But by
> default cyclictest is adjusting global system behavior during
> measurements, thus providing results that the system (as it is actually
> configured) would not be able to provide.

The thing is, we are not just trying to measure an environment, we are
also simulating a realtime application. If your realtime environment
doesn't disable c-states, then your realtime application probably should.

It's always a question of are we trying to measure a worse case scenario
or a best case scenario.

If I remove this default we're going to get a slew of reports from people
using cyclictest wondering why they aren't getting good realtime
performance.

> I realize that nobody wants to touch defaults. But I'm not sure users
> are aware how important the --laptop option is for realistic
> measurements. In fact, the description of --laptop even encourages users
> _not_ to use it. :-/

I agree, but I just wanted to quickly inform people on this email thread,
how to disable the default of writing to cpu_dma_latency, before we create
any patches to improve this.