Re: [rteval] Fails to work without numactl

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:

> On 2021-08-16 13:58:09 [+0200], To linux-rt-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > rteval as of v3.2 (and the main branch) fails to work continue without
> > numactl around:
> …
> > | TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable
> >
> > It continues to wait for kcompile…
> >
> > With numactl around it uses a different path and continues. However it
> > then finishes (the main binary) while the compile job and hackbench
> > continues (not sure if this is intended).
>
> ping.
>
> Sebastian

What distro are you running on Sebastian?
In rpm based distros numactl is a Requires, so that path where it is not
available is rarely tested - but that doesn't mean I won't take a patch or
try to fix it myself. I did have a quick look at it.

kcompile.py compiles an allmodconfig kernel. (not sure this is the best
thing to do still, but that's a different topic)

The requirements for that continues to grow. I have often seen rteval fail
when requirements for building the kernel aren't installed on a machine.

You can usually figure that out by looking at the debug logs in rteval,
but another simple thing to do is simply try an allmodconfig kernel
compile on your machine and when it fails figure out what
software is needed. It wouldn't be a bad thing to have a list of Debian
build requirements and Fedora build requirements, etc.

John