Re: Some issues running rteval on arm64, arm and i386

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021, Punit Agrawal wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> We ran into a few issues when trying to run rteval on arm64, arm and
> i386.
>
> A few of the assumptions in rteval don't hold true on these systems.
>
>     1. On arm64, there is no 'model name' in /proc/cpuinfo. See attached
>        sample output from qemu arm64. I verified the same behaviour on
>        an arm64 board we have as well.
>
>     2. Also, the build target for the kernel on arm64 is "Image" of
>        "bzImage". Rather than use different targets per-architecture it
>        maybe better to drop it all together. Do you see any downsides?
>
> The attached patches[1][2] gets things moving with regards to Issues 1
> and 2 locally but I am not sure that's the best solution - especially
> for "cpuinfo".
>
>     3. Both arm and i386 do not provide "numa" nodes in sysfs. This
>        causes rteval to complain "No valid nodes found in
>        /sys/devices/system/node"
>
>        Is this requirement planned to be relaxed - it'll be really
>        useful to be able to use rteval on these architectures.
>
> Thanks,
> Punit

In the past we targetted x86_64 only with rteval, but I definitely am
interested in patches that would make it work on other architectures where
the rt-kernel runs.

Could you resend the patches inline in separate mails, as you would when
sending patches for the linux kernel? The reason for this is it makes it
easier to comment on the code.

Thanks

John