Re: ETA for 4.19rt-stable patch set?

On 2019-01-26 01:30:03 [+0000], Hindman, Gavin wrote:

> My understanding is that the dev tree is just that - some work in
> progress so could be subject to transient latency and stability
> regressions.  Certainly, the dev tree generally works, but it's not
> guaranteed to remain that way.  The stable patch sets just get the
> changes considered truly stable.

I was waiting with my answer since I didn't know what the missing pieces
of information might be. With your text above tl;dr answer is that I
currently don't plan to add new rewrites to the dev RT tree.

The long version is:
v4.19 is currently in the dev-tree. It will be handed over to the stable
team once v5.0-RT is released (since it is the v4.19+2 release). This is
the basic workflow.

Given how long v4.19-RT is out, it should "stable" / it should not have
any known bugs / regressions. If so, I am not aware of it. If there is
anything, please let me know. If you haven't started using v4.19-RT yet,
please do so. The sooner problems are reported, the sooner people are
aware of them and may work on them.

At this point in time, I don't plan to throw any new patches into the
dev tree which would lead to a rewrite / change of RT behaviour.

How stable is stable. Around August I backported a handful patches for
v4.9-RT because futex was broken in some corner cases. The last v4.19-RT
release had a ptrace related fix which is or will be picked up by the RT
stable team. The locking latency problem on x86 for v4.1+ was routed via
the stable team (not the RT-stable team). So there is that.

Hope that answers your question.

Sebastian