Re: Is it required to use RT priority in RT application?

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 10:03 AM John Ogness <john.ogness@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Ran,
>
> On 2018-12-03, Ranran <ranshalit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I've found 2 examples for RT applications:
> > 1. https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/realtime/documentation/howto/applications/application_base
> > 2. https://github.com/emagii/training-materials/blob/master/lab-data/realtime/rttest/data/rttest.c
> >
> > In the 2nd example there is no usage of rt priority or threads.
> >
> > So, I don't understand:
> > What makes application RT ? Isn't it required to use RT priority ? If
> > so, why does the 2nd example doesn't use it ?
>
> Real-time scheduling policies and priorities for threads/processes can
> be assigned externally using chrt(1). Many times this is the preferred
> method for assigning real-time attributes because such values usually
> depend on the entire system and not just on the application itself.

Hello John,

Thank you very much for the reply.

Still, about the 2nd example above, it is intended to use for testing
RT latency, but there is no priority setting in yet.
Do you think it was meant to be executed together with chrt, or is it
that it is not required to set priority because there are no threads
in that example ?

Thank you,
Ran