Re: git clone of v4.19.1-rt3 fails, unk compression mode, fatal exit twice

On 2018-11-30 13:03:34 [-0500], Gene Heskett wrote:
> Now, a progress report, making me think there is more than one bug, the
> other is that I've tried 3 of these realtime kernels, and found that all
> of them are quite good at throwing away keyboard/mouse events from their
> own consoles and its boot sensitive in that if I reboot, I can
> eventually reach a configuration that does work, and will work till the
> next power bump.

The keyboard/mouse is attached via USB, right? So this might be again a
problem related to the USB controller.

> So I've now found that using the full UUID in my fstab generates a drive
> not found error buried in the logs, but that if a fresh
> mkswap -c /dev/sda3(takes about half an hour for a 10GB swap) is done,
> and the fstab uses PARTUUID="yadda-yadda", that error goes away.

This shouldn't take that long. If I remember correctly, it writes the
swap header and not much more.

> So then I stopped the swapfile, leaving htop showing 9999 megs of swap
> and empty, then from another console login, watched the git clone run
> with htop.  It took most of an hour, got 72 megs into swap, then died
> from a bad index  compression, just like before but this time complained
> about the partition mounted as /media/slash. So I umounted it and ran
> e2fsck /dev/sda3, quiet for several minutes, and gave it a clean
> condition, no errors IOW.

For testing I strongly recommend a local git server and not use
kernel.org resources for this.

Sebastian