Re: Best practices for passing messages from the RT to a non-RT process?

In LinuxCNC userspace realtime model we use a fixed-size
boost::lockfree::queue, allowing any of our N realtime threads to queue
a message (in this case literally a debug/logging message string) which
will be read out by a separate non-realtime thread.  (multiple producer,
single consumer)

Because the boost::lockfree::queue is finite, there is the possibility
that any particular message may be lost due to a full queue.
However, in practice this is not the case as long as RT produces
messages at a pace that non-RT can keep up with, and in any case RT
performance can't be affected by lost messages.

Jeff