RT Summit 2018 & some advice on my application running ARM big.LITTLE

Hi Everyone,

First can I thank you all for a very interesting day yesterday in Edinburgh!
Unfortunately I didn't get to stay much after 16.00 as we had to catch
a plane. It was very good to meet other RT users & listen to some
developers having in-depth conversation :-).

I am a user of the RT patchset in some fairly demanding multimedia
situations with a typical multichannel (8+) audio pipeline:  DAC ->
buffer -> app -> buffer -> ADC
The buffering is handled by JACKD2 the app having the same RT
priority+scheduler as this.

Most work I am doing is on arm(+64) platform but some x86+amd64 too
and we find running RT patchset really improves audio latency.

One of the questions which came up yesterday was the scheduler and
something I have not yet thought much around:
We are just setting the audio DMA interrupt (edma_ccint) to a priority
of around 95 with SCHED_FIFO, the jack server to 90 with also
SCHED_FIFO.
Now this seems to work quite well on the single core 1 GHz Beaglebone system.
My first question: is there anything I am doing glaringly wrong here?

So now I am working on a project that needs much more performance so
naturally I want to throwing multiple cores at it.
I have found the Rockchip RK3399 which has two cores CortexA72 & four
cores CortexA53 in a big.LITTLE style arrangement.

The story yesterday seemed that SMT is very bad and should be disabled
with RT & ARM does not have this function so I am okay.
The other topic mentioned was cache lines being shared between
multiple cores causing a hard to reproduce outlier & from what I have
read bigLITTLE shares cache lines between both processor types. So I
think I am going to have to disable the HMP and use the 4 fast cores?

Can you at all offer some quick advice to see if I am on the right track?

Cheers!

Christopher Obbard
64 Studio Ltd.