Re: Floating point register corruption on ARM Cortex A57 (ARMv8) with RT_PREEMPT linux

> nope, should work by default. Do you have NEON related crypto code or
> EFI enabled?

Sebastian, Thank you for the comments. I have NEON related crypto code
enabled right now, but I remember disabling
it and it did not make a difference. I will disable it again and will
give it a try. In the mean time, when I disabled the following 4 lines
from the config file
and re-compiled the kernel, the test code works fine without the issue
described earlier related to floating point. Are you suspecting that
NEON related crypto interferes with real time kernel and not with non-rt kernel?

  # CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT_BASE=y

  # CONFIG_HAVE_PREEMPT_LAZY=y

  # CONFIG_PREEMPT_LAZY=y

  # CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT_FULL=y

> Could you please try the latest v4.18? I believe it is fixed there and
> needs just backporting. Could you please try?

I will try it as a last resort because I am not sure if the board BSP
supports v4.18. Right now, I am
trying to figure out, why it works fine with non-rt kernel and only
see the issue when the above four RT_PREEMPT config
options are turned on.

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018, 9:55 AM Sebastian Andrzej Siewior
<sebastian.siewior@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2018-10-04 19:12:53 [-0700], Anup Pemmaiah wrote:
> > 1) Is there any floating point related kernel setting that I should
> > set in the RT_PREEMPT kernel? I have set eagerfpu=on (even though it
> > is on by default)
>
> nope, should work by default. Do you have NEON related crypto code or
> EFI enabled?
>
> > 2) Was reading about "Lazy Stacking" for Cortex-M4, but not sure if it
> > applies for Cortex A57
> >
> > Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Could you please try the latest v4.18? I believe it is fixed there and
> needs just backporting. Could you please try?
>

> Sebastian

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 9:55 AM Sebastian Andrzej Siewior