Re: PREEMPT_RT_FULL breaks NO_HZ_FULL (full dynticks)

On 2018-08-31 01:18:20 [-0700], Ramesh Thomas wrote:
> Yes. Also posixcputmr and ktimersoftd are not seen if PREEMPT_RT_FULL is not
> enabled. They don't seem to be running when the timer interrupts occur. But
> they being there by itself indicates something different is happening.

both threads are created on RT and should be idle unless used.

> I see the issue in 4.14.63 RT as well. There are slight differences in
> behavior due to changes that went in 4.17, but the main issue is seen there
> also.

okay, so it is not a regression. Thanks for confirming.

> > > If it is an issue, I would be glad to help in any way to get these 2 very
> > > important features compatible with each other.
> >
> > So if the ktimersoftd runs and you see the interrupt counter
> > incrementing for CPU3 then it would be interesting to figure out why
> > there is an armed timer on the second invocation (and none on the first
> > one).
> >

> In 4.18.5 RT, the issue does not always happen in the second invocation.
> Sometimes it works as expected, but the issue will show up after a few
> tries.
>
> Looks like there are 2 issues when PREEMPT_RT_FULL is enabled
> 1. Some additional processes are pinned to isolated cores.

as explained, above that is expected.

> 2. Timer is armed even though only a single high priority task is running.

something must have armed that timer. The clock_nanosleep() API won't
use those new threads but for instance timer_create() / timer_settime()
will.

> > > Thanks,
> > > Ramesh

Sebastian