Re: SCHED_DEADLINE as user

On Thu, 23 Aug 2018 15:09:57 +0200
Juri Lelli <juri.lelli@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 23/08/18 15:00, luca abeni wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Aug 2018 14:37:39 +0200
> > Juri Lelli <juri.lelli@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > How about extending PAM limits instead? It looks like it's what
> > > (e.g.) audio users rely on already [1]. It is maybe possible to
> > > add dlruntime, dlperiod, dldeadline parameters in there?
> >
> > Ok, I do not know much about these PAM limits... Where can I find
> > more information?
>
> The link I shared already gives some information, man pam_limits and
> limits.conf also.
>
> > What do we need to implement exactly, to add these dlruntime,
> > dlperiod, dldeadline parameters?
>
> Not sure yet "exactly" :-), but I'd say something along these lines
>
> https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/kernel/sched/core.c#L4198

Ok, thanks; I think I got it: we need to extend the "rlim" array (in
signal_struct) adding fields for "RLIMIT_DLRUNTIME" and friends
(actually, I think a "RLIMIT_UTILIZATION" field is also needed). And
then we need to add checks for these fields in __sched_setscheduler(),
etc...

Maybe I am misunderstanding this stuff, but the cgroup-based approach
looks simpler / more elegant :)

			Thanks,
				Luca