Re: Building the Raspberry Pi kernel with RT PREEMPT

Hello,

Am Mittwoch, 7. Februar 2018, 00:02:52 CET schrieb t-v.k@xxxxxxx:
> this is my first time on a mailing list. I'm not sure how this works.

You write to the list address, everyone also subscribed gets your mail,
including you. Some people will set you in Cc additionally.

> I'm currently trying to automate the build of a Linux kernel with the RT
> PREEMPT patch. The kernel that I'm trying to build is in this git
> repository: https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux (branch rpi-4.14.y)
>
> It's the official kernel for the Raspberry Pi.

Yes, and it has some patches on top of the upstream vanilla kernel, IIRC
around 200 the last time a looked at it.

> But at the moment I am stuck. There are two problems. When I apply the
> patch "patch-4.14.15-rt13.patch.gz", I get errors like:
>
> Hunk #9 FAILED at 795.
> 1 out of 20 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file kernel/softirq.c.rej
>
> and as a result of this it exits with code 1.
>
> Here is the full build process output:
> https://gitlab.com/T-vK/rpi-rt-kernel/-/jobs/51343435
>
> When I just ignore it and continue I get to the point where I can run
> "make zImage", which then fails with this:

This makes no sense, the patch must apply. You don't want to build anything
with a half applied patch.

> Can anyone help me with these issues?

If you're on v4.14 anyway, I would recommend to run a vanilla kernel and put
the RT patch(es) on top. At least for a system without graphics, this should
work. (I had a RPi 1B running with vanilla v4.12 built with ptxdist and the
DistroKit BSP some time ago, v4.14 and v4.15 also run fine headless. Should
also work for RPi 2.)

HTH & Greets
Alex