Re: Linux stable vs RT stable and RT dev

Hi Julia,

On 02/02/2018 04:46 PM, Julia Cartwright wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 07:00:12PM +0000, Mills, William wrote:
>> Hello,
>
> Hey Bill-
>
>> I am trying to understand the policy WRT the RT stable branches and
>> the Linux stable releases.  It appears not every Linux stable gets its
>> own RT stable. [1]
>
> I'm assuming you mean not every Linux stable release gets it's own
> stable-rt release, correct?  If so, then you're correct.  Some times
> I'll jump a few upstream stable versions if it's been awhile since I did
> an upstream merge.
>
> The only guarantee is that the merged upstream stable release is
> monotonically increasing.
>
> You can consider a stable-rt release to be a synchronization point
> between the upstream stable release process and the rt-devel process.
>
>> What is the goal?
>> 	Not getting behind by more than X weeks?
>> 	Only change when RT series needs to be updated?
>
> In an ideal world, we could turn around a stable-rt release ontop of an
> upstream stable release in the time it takes to test it.  However, we're
> not in an ideal world, and merging in an upstream stable release can
> and does cause rt-specific regressions.
>
> That being said, we do have a goal to be releasing a new stable-rt
> release within a month of an upstream stable release -OR- an rt-devel
> tree release with stable-targeted fixes.
>
>> What is the expected consumer model?:
>> 	Use only the version published by the maintainer
>> 	Merge in upstream point release themselves between rt-stable releases
>
> It's expected that a consumer use the version released by the
> maintainer.
>
> Obviously, you're in control of your own destiny here, though.  One
> option for you would be to merge in an upstream point release for
> testing, then once a maintainer has released a new version, compare the
> two.
>
>> How is the policy different for rt-dev vs rt-stable?
>
> I'm not sure it is.

Thanks for the answers.  That may be all me need for now and we will
think about this more.

See below.

>> Long version / background
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> TI publishes 3 variants of our kernel for customers:
>> 	Base + TI + [Linaro LSK]
>> 	Base + TI + RT
>> 	Base + TI + Android Common
>>
>> All this is based on the latest GKH LTS and there is maintenance of last years LTS
>>
>> (Yes we understand this is all very simple if the TI set is nil.  We
>> have never achieved that to date.  In the very least it is backports
>> from tip to latest LTS.  In reality it is more.)
>>
>> Right now Base above is always the very latest stable from GKH LTS.
>> It is auto merged as soon as it is published and picked up by our
>> nightly builds.   Any merge conflict in any of the variants stops auto
>> merge progress.
>>
>> In this structure we tend to be the first to merge RT with a new
>> stable.  Most of the time this is OK but sometimes it is not.
>
> Yes, obviously there are many way things can fail that wouldn't trigger
> a textual merge conflict.  It's the responsibility of the maintainer to
> try to catch these things, or resolve them once they've been found.
>
> What I would like to understand is how you are testing these automerged
> branches.
>
>    Julia

+ Carlos (TI integration & test lead) who will correct me if I am wrong
+ Grygorii who actually solves these problems when they come up (and is
a subscriber here anyway)

TI has a pretty extensive test plan.  Not every test is run every night
but the rest is picked up on -rc (~weekly) and by the time of the
release (once per 6 weeks) a full test plan is executed.

Most of our tests are focused on TI drivers and platform code for both
functional and performance regressions.  We do run cyclic test for RT
performance regressions and (I believe) general LTP tests to make sure
we did not break the kernel.  Just the process of running the tests
exercises a good bit of functionality.

It should be a TI TODO to see if there is anything in RT-CI that we
don't already run and incorporate it.

Thanks again,
Bill