Current Best Practices for accessing PWM devices in real-time

(I had so much luck with my previous "CBP" query, that I think I'm
going to keep this up).

Many SoC's have general purpose PWM controllers built into the device.

What are the current best practices for accessing PWM controlled
external peripherals (such as motor drivers) from within a real-time
Linux thread?

Do folks primarily access the PWM peripheral via the /sys/class/pwm
interface as described at
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/pwm.txt?  Doesn't that seem
terribly inefficient?

Do folks write their own "motor control" driver and run them in kernel
context?  Although RT-Linux patches will undoubtedly help this sort of
approach, doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of real-time Linux
(running real-time code in user space threads)?

Do folks do something completely different?

Again, thanks for tips & pointers.

Stay tuned for my next episode, to be entitled something like "Current
Best Practices for Counting External Events in real-time".  (I'm still
working on a less wordy title.)

--wpd