Re: schedule under irqs_disabled in SLUB problem

On 2017-11-27 12:16:36 [+0530], Sam Kappen wrote:
> Hi,
Hi,

> 1.)
> I had derived and tried a patch based on the below analysis.
> ( I referred below open source commit, to derive on this patch.
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-stable-rt.git/commit/?h=v4.9.47-rt37-rebase&id=7a347757f027190c95a363a491c18156a926a370
> )
>
> In some cases pi_lock in rt_spin_lock_slowlock does not retain the
> irqs state while exiting function, this causes
> issue in migrate_disable() + enable as they are not symmetrical in
> regard to the status of interrupts.
> To fix pi_lock & pi_unlock in rt_spin_lock_slowlock, it has been
> modified to retain irq state by using
> raw_spin_lock and raw_spin_unlock and also modified wait_lock in
> rt_spin_lock_slowlock with raw_spin_lock_irqsave & *_restore.

Can you provide more informations on this? Like a stack strace that
shows that this happens and when it happens? It should not happen.

…
> We were testing above patch on multiple targets we could experience
> some stuck issue on some remote target after 2 days. I am not
> sure what really happens there, may be the issue when try for
> scheduling with irq in disabled state.
> The systems I have tested found to be worked 7 days after that I
> stopped the test.

Which patch? The patch I've sent and ask you for testing or the patch
you had in this email?

> 2.) With your patch during the slab allocations irqs will be in enabled state.
> So if we enable irqs in early stage will there be any side effects? I
> am sorry if my question doesn't seem
> to be logical.

You must not enable the interrupts too early. At the time of scheduling
it is okay.

> Regards,
> Sam

Sebastian