Re: Cyclic task issue with 4.9.47-rt37

On 11/14/2017 03:49 PM, Tommaso Saudelli wrote:
Hi,
I'm writing since i am experiencing some difficulties through the
development of an application which execute a cyclic task every 1 ms.
The computer where this application should run is an embedded pc with
an intel celeron j1900 quad core, 2G of ram and 32G of ssd. I have
installed debian 9.2.1 on it, from a netinst iso image, with no
graphical environment. I've downloaded the latest stable kernel source
(4.9.47) with the respective rt patch (4.9.47-rt37) and followed the
instructions as described in the web page "how to set up preempt_rt
properly".
I patched the kernel and then i ticked the box with the "Fully
Preemptible Kernel" option, and compiled it (make, make
modules_install, make install). Rebooted the pc, i checked that the
new kernel was running (uname -a) and i wrote a small cpp application
following the example of "how to build a simple rt application" web
page and "how to build a basic cyclic application" web page.

Referencing web pages with names really isn't very helpful.  These might
be the right sites, and they might not be.

  Then to
be sure that the cycle keeps at a constant rate of 1 ms, i took the
time in nano seconds (clock_gettime) each time the thread finished
sleeping and woke up, and compared it with the previous woke up time
by subtraction. In theory i should get this time to be around 1000000
ns, but what i get is that it varies continuosly from 800000 to
1100000. Sometimes when i launch the program it stays around the
desired cycle time, but if i stop and restart the program then it
starts to behave as before. I am really confused, what am i doing
wrong or am i missing to do? Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks in
advance.

Without seeing your program, it is hard to say.  It could be a lot of things.

-corey