RT kernel on Acer laptop unreliable

Hello,

I need low and stable latency for audio processing. I use Guitarix,
Ardour and other jack-based applications. For anything else I would use
the regular kernel package from my distribution (PLD Linux), but the
latency spikes are unacceptable in some cases. That is why I have been
trying to use RT kernel, for a few months now…

First I added the RT patch to the PLD Linux kernel package. I have tried
both the 4.4 and 4.9 kernel. Neither of them worked well. Then I
manually compiled a few vanilla 4.9.x kernels, just with the most recent
RT patch and with a configuration made from scratch (not to copy any PLD
mistakes). Still no luck.

Most of the information I could find online is quite outdated or
incomplete, so I have really little idea what the proper configuration
of the RT kernel is or how to debug it.

When the RT kernel works, it would provide quite acceptable latency – I
could get down to 8ms in jack with no significant xruns. Unfortunately
none of the RT kernels I tried would be reliable. With little load the
system would work for a few hours sometimes, but often it would slow
down and crash much earlier. With high load, e.g. when trying to play
some demanding game, the system would usually crash quite quickly.

Sometimes it would just lock up hard with no warning and nothing would
work – not even magic sysrq.
Other times it would gradually slow down until it is not usable at all.
Sometimes I would be able to see some 'BUG' in dmesg, but rarely I would
be able to restart the system cleanly.
Sometimes only some subsystems would fail, while otherwise the system
still seems to work. It could be sound, mouse, keyboard or network that
doesn't work.

System logs would contain some kernel BUGs/WARNINGs, but they would
often look generic and would not point to a specific problem (not for me).

Today I have tried kernel 4.9.37 with the 4.9.35-rt25 patch. It failed
again, here are the kernel error logs:

https://gist.github.com/Jajcus/494b79062b537269b49265ff3c50ee78

I have no idea how to properly debug the problem, even what data should
I collect to prepare a reasonable bug report.

I have already upgraded laptop firmware to the latest available, I have
also played with some BIOS setup options.

One thing that looks suspicious is the amount of time spent in IRQ 16
handling, which is: 'idma64, i801_smbus, i2c_designware'. Also the
i801-smbus in i2c-designware-platform were first to fail when loaded.
Regular kernel (without PREEMPT_RT_FULL) seems to generate much lower
number of those interrupts.

However, the system would crash even if the i2c modules are blacklisted
and not loaded. Getting rid of idma64 would not help much either. IRQ 16
would not come any more, but the system would slow down and crash anyway.

Any idea what is the problem?
Any hints how to debug it?

Greets,
Jacek