cyclictest usage

I was gently reminded at the Linux Foundation RT board meeting that I had been tasked with sending out an email, soliciting people's use-cases for running cyclictest on RT kernels and to announce that we're looking at doing a rewrite to cyclictest 2.0. Herein is that email (better late than never).

What we're looking for is how people are using cyclictest. For example, at Red Hat we use the 'rteval' tool, which puts a large SCHED_OTHER load on the system and then runs cyclictest with a measurement thread on each core. The intent is to put a large load on the scheduler and prove that the RT patchset provides deterministic performance under load.

What other types of testing/measurement are people doing with cyclictest?

John Kacur and I are wanting to clean up tracing and make sure that the most commonly used options are on by default. In addition we want to refactor some of the runtime logic. Are there other areas that need to be cleaned up? Features that need to be added/deleted?

Thanks,

Clark

--
The United States Coast Guard