Re: Changing checksums of RT patches

On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 00:13:25 +0100
Dominic Sacré <dominic.sacre@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm sorry to bring this up again, but it looks like
> 4.1/older/patch-4.1.38-rt45.patch.gz changed when -rt46 was released, so
> the Bitbake recipes that use this patch are now broken again.

Note, Julia just took over for 4.1-rt maintainership, so there is going
to be some expected hiccups along the way until she is fully up to
speed. Please have patience during this time.

> On 2017-02-28 19:03, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > What matters is the content and not the compressed thingy. Again:
> >
> >  - The sha256 only tells you that the download was not corrupted.
> >
> >  - The PGP signature is what protects the content and that does not change
> >    whether you move it or upload the same thing again.
>
> I don't disagree, but there's currently no support for verifying
> downloads by PGP signature in Bitbake; sha256 is the best we've got.
>
> Besides, we're talking about a system for automated builds here.
> I would argue that verifying the authenticity of files (e.g. using PGP
> signatures) is the responsibility of the person writing the Bitbake recipe.
> For those who then use that recipe to build the software, all that
> matters is that the download is not corrupted, and that the file being
> downloaded is actually the same one that was used by the author of the
> recipe.
>
> Of course, it really is the content that matters. But working with
> sha256 checksums of the compressed files simplifies both the build
> system, and, perhaps more importantly, the process of writing recipes.
>
> IMHO it's bad practice for files to change once they've been released
> (with a version number and everything), even if the contents remain the
> same. The sha256-based approach seems to be working for thousands of
> projects in OpenEmbedded; I don't see any particular reason for patches
> on kernel.org to be any different.
>
> By the way, the 4.1.38-rt46 release is currently still missing from the
> "older" directory.

Julia,

Just an FYI, especially if you are using my older scripts (I haven't
updated the ones I posted). I was asked when I do my upload of a new
version to copy to both the main and older directory. But my scripts
still moved the main to the older one when a new release went out. This
caused the checksums of the created .gz to change in the older
directory.

What I do now is to still upload to both main and older, but when I
have a new release, I simply delete the main one, as the older one
already exists.

Thanks!

-- Steve