Re: Changing checksums of RT patches

On 2017-02-14 19:57, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> It's the way kernel.org does the updates. I upload a .xz file and a
> signed gpg file of the uncompressed image. kernel.org creates the gz
> file from the uncompressed version. As I upload it twice, kernel.org
> does two gzips of the uncompressed file. I'm guessing that there's a
> timestamp that gets used as well, making both gzipped files different,
> even though what they contain are the same.
>
> I may need to change my workflow to simply delete the file in the
> current directory than to move it. Although, I had better make sure
> that there's a copy in the older directory first. Maybe I'll change my
> tool to download the older and current versions, uncompress them, make
> sure they are the same, and if they are, remove the current version,
> else, move the current version on the older one.

Sounds good to me!

I'll upgrade my Bitbake recipe to use older/patch-4.1.38-rt45.patch.gz
then. I've checked that the uncompressed contents are identical, so
everything should be fine with the process you describe.

(I've also just submitted a patch to OpenEmbedded to support
xz-compressed patches, which AFAICT are not affected by the whole issue.)

Thanks,

Dominic