Re: simulate load with cycletest

On Thu, 2 Feb 2017 18:48:41 +0200
Ran Shalit <ranshalit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Julia Cartwright <julia@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 07:53:55AM +0200, Ran Shalit wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >
> > Hello Ran-
> >
> >> I have followed instruction for using cycletest in:
> >> https://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Cyclictest
> >>
> >> It described command lines for different scenarios.
> >> usually one with load and the next without load.
> >> Yet, I see no difference between the load 100% and no-load commands.
> >>
> >> How can you simulate load with cycletest ?
> >
> > cyclictest itself doesn't do any loading, it's common to run it with
> > some other processes in the background which generate a simulated load.
> >
> > Keep in mind that the using a utility like the ones I've listed below is
> > only _simulating_ what a load _might_ be like in a real application.
> > The best thing to do is to actually test your application.
> >
> >    - hackbench - scheduling load (nice because it's part of rt-tests)
> >    - stress - load-generating swiss-army knife
> >    - xfstests - disk / filesystem load
> >    - 'make -j' in a kernel source tree
> >    - iperf - network load
> >    - glxgears - gfx load
> >
> > (those are the ones that come to mind, there are others I'm forgetting)
> >
> >   Julia
>
> Hi Julia , Joakim , Kannan,
>
> Thank you very much for answering my question !

You might want to look at 'rteval', which runs hackbench and 'make -j' while running cyclictest. When the run duration is done it does some statistics calculations on the cyclictest histogram.

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/clrkwllms/rteval.git/

I'm looking at adding a 'stress' module to it as well.

/me takes note of the other loads that Julia listed...

Clark

--
The United States Coast Guard
Ruining Natural Selection since 1790