Re: question about rcuc/X tasks

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 09:07:14AM -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 14:47:37 +0100
> Daniel Bristot de Oliveira <daniel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi Chris,
> >
> > On 12/12/2016 11:42 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:
> > > Based on the fact that Documentation/kernel-per-CPU-kthreads.txt
> > > describes CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU_ALL=y as a solution by preventing the
> > > rcuc/%u kthreads from having any work to do, I had expected that the
> > > "rcu_nocbs=1-15" kernel parameter would have a similar effect.
>
> Paul, would rcu_nocbs=1-15 work? Or should ALL be used ? I'm assuming
> this is on a 16 CPUs box, in which case I don't see much of a difference
> for not just using ALL as it is almost there anyway ;-)

Using ALL is equivalent to rcu_nocbs=0-15 (as opposed to rcu_nocbs=1-15) on
a 16-CPU box, assuming that the CPUs are numbered consecutively.  The only
case where I could see a difference is if you were running something like
Rik's nasty Java workload on CPU 0, in which case rcu_nocbs=1-15 would be
the better choice.

							Thanx, Paul