Re: Gilles Chanteperdrix, 1975-2016

On 2016-08-13 18:11, Philippe Gerum wrote:

> It is with deep sorrow that I have to inform you that Gilles
> Chanteperdrix has passed away on Sunday 7th August. He now rests in the
> cemetery of Baillargues, in Southern France.
>
> You can extend your sympathy to Gilles's family by sending a message to
> im-gilles@xxxxxxxxxxx.
>
> Gilles will forever be remembered as a true-hearted man, a brilliant
> mind always scratching beneath the surface, looking for elegance in the
> driest topics, never jaded from such accomplishment.
>
> According to Paul Valery, "death is a trick played by the inconceivable
> on the conceivable". Gilles's absence is inconceivable to me, I can only
> assume that for once, he just got rest from tirelessly helping all of us.
>
> Repose en paix mon ami, l'éclat de ta mémoire dissipera ces heures  sombres.

I'm very sad having to read this. My deepest sympathy to his family and
friends.

Gilles has been working in these communities for ages, as long as I can
remember. From the early RTAI-fusion days, over his POSIX skin, the
continuous hard work on ARM over all the years, his FCSE patches,
countless enhancements and tricky fixes for both Xenomai series, its
infrastructure and much more.

As if all the coding wasn't enough, he was also always trying to help
people with their questions and problems on the lists, and did thorough
reviews of our patches. Tedious work, sometimes repeating, and we cannot
thank him enough for all the time he spent on this, with almost infinite
endurance.

I will specifically keep is valuable contributions to RTnet in memory
which finally led to a perfect take-over. He achieved what I was only
imagining: the smooth integration of this project into Xenomai.

With his amazing expertise, passion for free software, dedication to his
work, he was shaping the co-kernel real-time Linux projects enduringly.
It's so sad that we lost him. Way too early.

Jan